How to prepare yourself when moving to Hungary? – Step 4

Getting medical care

If you’re here on a short-term basis, it’s easy to get free medical care for emergencies, especially if you have a European Health Card, but if you’re moving to Hungary or staying for a longer period, it’s worth exploring your medical-care options.

Many expats prefer to go private and sign up to a private clinic or plan like First Med or Swiss Clinic. This does make life easier where language barriers are concerned, as most private clinics in Budapest have English-speaking doctors. However, all legal residents who are actively employed by a Hungary-based company are considered insured and are issued with a national insurance card (“TAJ kártya“), and their account will be valid based on the social security contributions the employer makes to the state on the employee’s behalf.

You can either apply for this yourself at the National Health Insurance customer service department on Váci Street 73/a in the XIII District, or you can ask your workplace to see if they can sort out the paperwork for you. Applying in person, you need to bring an ID or passport.

On the public system, once you have the TAJ card you can see a doctor, although you’ll have to find a clinic in your district. Have a look in the Arany Oldalak (“Yellow Pages“) or you can ask your embassy for a list of doctors who speak your language.

Should you need assistance for obtaining your TAJ card or need advice for an English speaking Doctor, do not hesitate to contact Smile Relocation & Concierge.

Check out our blog for more tips on moving to Hungary.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *